Monday 6 January 2020

SM Global Package: EXO PLANET #5 The EXplOration [dot] in Seoul

Warning: Lengthy post ahead

I wasn't initially going to blog about this as I've posted about my previous experiences with Global Package for EXO'rdium [dot] (click here) and EℓyXiOn (click here). However, as the Global Package was so messy and confusing this time, I decided to write about it in case it helps someone else if SM C&C decides to do it this way again. It's a bit wordy but hopefully my explanations aren't too confusing.


Details about the Global Package

SM C&C had "puzzle" packages for EXplOration [dot]. This meant they were only selling packages for individual concerts ("A" package for the first night, "B" package for the second night and "C" package for the third night). If you wanted to see more than one concert you had to purchase additional packages however you could link different grade packages (Deluxe - City or Airport Hotel, Superior - City or Airport Hotel, Economy - City Hotel or Bus - Airport or Downtown) and different types (standing/seating tickets and single/twin) together to create your own overall package. Hotel packages only included the hotel for one night (i.e the night of the concert) which differed to previous packages that included the hotel for two nights (i.e the night before the concert and the night of the concert). This time they also had bus packages (which did not include hotel) - instead the return bus after the concert took you either to the airport (Incheon or Gimpo) or downtown (Gangnam, Hongdae or Myeongdong). In addition, instead of being able to draw your ticket and pick up your souvenirs at your hotel the night before the concert like previous packages, there was only one "check-in center" where you could collect these items and that was located at InterContinental Seoul COEX.

Unfortunately there was no Premium package so I opted for the Downtown Bus package as this meant I wouldn't have to change hotels during my stay. I heard that some people purchased the same hotel grade package for all 3 concerts but were given different hotels each night!

If you purchased more than one package you were given discounts on your additional purchases. The $ amount of discount was dependent on which package you purchased. The discounts ranged between USD $100 - $280 per additional package for single packages.

Prior to the concert you were required to answer a check-in center survey which included questions about the following:
  • preferred time and date to visit the check-in center (6pm-11pm night before the concert, 8am-10am day of concert, 10am-12pm day of concert, 12pm-2pm day of concert, 2pm-4pm day of concert, 4pm-6pm day of concert). Not sure why 8am was an option when the check-in center only opened at 9am day of concert!
  • choice of transportation from the check-in center to the venue (bus or subway - if you chose the subway option you were provided with a random member EXO Tempo era Cashbee card loaded with 1,250 won)
  • whether you would be taking the bus from the venue after the concert to your hotel/airport/downtown 
  • as I had purchased Downtown Bus packages, I also had to select which location I wanted to go to after the concert (Gangnam station, Hongik University station or Myeongdong station)
SM C&C spammed with 21 notices through their website prior to the concert (a lot more notices compared to previous packages) and you got a notice for each package you purchased which was annoying because it meant that I got the same notice 3 times.


Check-in Center at InterContinental Seoul COEX

At the check-in center there were 7 desks you had to go to. You had to go to Desk 1 first and Desk 7 last but you could visit Desk 2-6 in any order. There was also another desk (Desk 8) at KSPO Dome where you could collect an additional souvenir. According to SM C&C it was done this way so you knew where to get the bus after the concert.

As you could only visit the check-in center for each package the day before the concert or on the day of the concert, this meant having to visit the center multiple times if you had purchased additional packages as you couldn't collect everything at the same time. Super annoying if you weren't staying close to InterContinental Seoul COEX. Alternatively, you could "check-in" at the SM Global Package Booth at KSPO Dome on the day of the concert (opened at 3pm for standing, 5pm for seating and closed at 6pm) but you still had to visit the check-in center at InterContinental Seoul COEX if you wanted to collect your lottery goods.

Desk 1: ID Check / Name Tag
At this desk you were required to provide your check-in number (which was given to you via a notice through the Global Package website) and passport so you could collect your name tag, check-in card (which gets stamped by the staff after you visit each desk) and signature sheet (required at Desk 7).

Check-in card

Desk 2: Lottery
At this desk you could draw pieces of paper which had different types of goods printed on them. The goods you randomly drew could then be collected from other staff members. You got 1 ticket if you did the SNS promotion (which involved posting about the Global Package on social media), 1 additional ticket for each additional package purchased and up to 5 tickets depending on your package grade (bus packages were the lowest grade and therefore only got 1 ticket). Your SNS promotion and additional package lottery tickets were only added once and they were added to the first package you purchased.

There were different goods you could randomly get such as individual member L folders, USBs, tote bags and water bottles.

I got the following goods:
A package (1 lottery ticket for package grade): Kai L folder + random member (Sehun)
B package (1 lottery ticket for package grade): USB (white)
C package (4 lottery tickets as this was the first package I purchased - 1 for SNS promotion, 2 for additional packages purchased, 1 for package grade): Chanyeol L folder + badge, Chen L folder + badge, Baekhyun L folder + badge, USB (white)

Desk 3: Souvenir
At this desk you could pick up your Global Package souvenirs. Bus packages were given an EXO necklace and a pack that contained pencils, 2 sheets of letter writing paper so you could write messages to EXO (which could be given to the staff at the SM Global Package booth at KSPO Dome), stickers, printed message card from EXO and a heat pack). ACE members could also pick up their ACE souvenir from this desk which was a printed message card from EXO in English.

I wasn't given the ACE souvenir with my A package when I visited the check-in-center the night before the concert. I messaged SM C&C about it on the Q&A on their website as I had seen on twitter later that night that others had collected theirs. SM C&C responded saying they couldn't help me because I already submitted my signature sheet (which really annoyed me because 1. they didn't say anything about where to get the ACE souvenir in the 21 notices they spammed us with, 2. it would make no difference to them if they gave it to me another day since they should have enough stock since they know how many Global Package participants are ACE members, 3. the staff member at Desk 3 saw I was ACE, asked someone else about it and was given the X sign which gave the impression that I couldn't collect my ACE souvenir from there). I ended up going to the booth at KSPO Dome on the day of the concert, explained what had happened and they were super nice about it, gave me the additional souvenir, wrote ACE on my check-in card and apologised.

When I went to collect my B package souvenirs at the check-in center, I asked the staff member who handed me the Global Package souvenirs where I could get my ACE souvenir and she pointed to someone else sitting at the end of Desk 3. When I went to collect my C package, the staff member who handed me the Global Package souvenirs also gave me the ACE souvenir (I don't know why they didn't do it this way from the beginning!).

Desk 4: Pre-ordered MD
At this desk, you could pick up your pre-ordered merchandise (which was available for pre-order about a week and a half prior to the concerts). If you didn't pre-order any merchandise you could ask for a stamp only for your check-in card.

Unfortunately there were some items that were venue exclusive (like the individual member fabric bracelets and the acrylic concert ticket charms) but I wasn't willing to line up in the cold at KSPO Dome or pay ridiculous resale prices so I didn't end up getting them.

Desk 5: Ticket Draw
There were different desks to draw your ticket from depending on which package you purchased (deluxe, superior, economy or bus).

I drew 3rd floor tickets for each concert with my bus package.

A package: section 33
B package: section 30
C package: section 35

My tickets

Seating chart feat. where I was seated each night

I knew I wouldn't get the best seats with the cheapest package but I was still expecting them to be on the 2nd floor. I was initially disappointed that they had 3rd floor tickets for Global Package given how much the package costs. Luckily, KSPO Dome is a smaller venue so the first few rows of the third floor aren't too bad and on the first night I was seated near D.O in the audience so I got to see him.

The most expensive package usually gets the best seats however I saw on twitter that someone who purchased the Deluxe package drew a second floor second row ticket but it was in section 1 (which is in the corner and the members don't go there often).

Desk 6: Transportation
I opted to take the subway to the venue so I was provided with a random member Cashbee card that was topped up with 1,250 won. For my A package, the staff member handed it to me but for my B and C package, they allowed me to randomly draw a card.

I got the following Cashbee cards:
A package: Chanyeol (swapped with a friend for Suho)
B package: Kai
C package: Sehun

Tempo era Suho, Kai and Sehun Cashbee cards

As I had a Downtown Bus package and had opted to go to Myeongdong, I was also given a bus ticket which needed to be presented to the staff on the bus after the concert.

Desk 7: Signature Sheet
This was the last desk at the check-in center and you were required to sign the signature sheet provided at Desk 1. The signature sheet was basically a liability waiver - you were required to sign it to confirm you had received your souvenirs, MD and tickets yourself, that there were no problems with the check in-process, agree not to hand over/sell the souvenirs, MD and tickets you received and that you were responsible for any problems that arised if you violated package policy.


KSPO Dome

Desk 8: Final Stamp
This was the final desk and was located at KSPO Dome. You get your final stamp here and an additional souvenir (mirror).

Concert

Outside KSPO Dome

My view for the first night

The concerts were all supposed to start at 6pm however on the first night there were technical difficulties with one of the screens so it started about 20 minutes late. All of the concerts finished around 9.30pm. As I got tickets in different sections each night, I was pretty lucky to get different views albeit from the third floor. Highlights for me were Suho's solo stage, Just Us 2 (feat. Suho) and Angel (my favourite song from their debut mini album and one of the reasons I became a fan back in 2012). The last ment on the last night and Chanyeol's video message for the members were so touching ╥﹏╥.

Meal Box
After the concert, Downtown Bus package participants could pick up their snacks from the parking lot. I believe other package participants got their snack box on the bus (similar to previous packages). It came with 2 water bottles, juice (orange on the first night, apple on the second night and berry on the third night), fruits, biscuits and other food (croissant with savoury filling and 1/8 of two different types of muffins on the first night, 2 croissants with savoury filling on the second night and a roll with savoury filling and a chocolate croissant on the third night).

Snack Box from the second night


SMTown and Store

Not related to the Global Package, but it was kind of disappointing that SMTown and Store didn't have any special events such as if you buy a certain $ amount of goods you get free limited edition items like they did during EXO'rdium [dot] (magnetic bookmarks) and EℓyXiOn (photocards and wristbands).


Other Notes about the Global Package

There were less benefits with the Global Package compared to previous packages as there were no events (like watching an EXO related surround viewing at SMTown Theatre) and lunch wasn't provided (previously provided at SMT Seoul or SUM Cafe).

Even though I initially regretted buying the Global Package because it was soooo messy, there were less benefits, they gave third floor seats and I had the worst luck with random draws and didn't get anything Suho related, EXO always makes things worthwhile. The concerts themselves were amazing regardless of where you're sitting and I'm glad I could be there for what is most likely Suho's last concert before he enlists. Plus I saw D.O!

If you have any questions about the Global Package, please leave a comment below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment